- July 26, 2020
- Posted by: AQI Service
- Category: Product Testing
What is German LFGB Test and Certification?
In the era of globalization, neither people are being fettered by the border of a country, nor products are being sold only in the local market. With the development of our country’s economy, the advancement of technology, and the versatility of our needs, people are traveling across the world for different purposes, and products are being available almost everywhere in the world regardless of their origin. For example, foods that are being produced in Asia can be seen in EUROPE or America. Reversely, European or American foods have gained popularity in Asian markets. With an aim to examine as well as uphold the quality of foreign products, different countries have established different organizations and set different standards.
LFGB is a German standard, especially for food products and others that are closely connected to foods such as food packaging materials, kitchen, and household items wherein there is a possibility of being migrated of noxious chemicals in the food. It is symbolized by the logo “knife and fork” which represents food security.
The primary purpose of LFGB Test Certification is to ensure that organizations create and deliver quality products and services that meet predetermined standards. LFGB certificate is an important legal document in the field of food hygiene in Germany.
Therefore, there are numerous underlying advantages as well as disadvantages associated with it. Consequently, these merits and demerits create a huge impact nearly on all levels within the organization.
What does LFGB Certified mean?
Let’s explore the benefits a company can get from having LFGB certification-
(a) Increased customer satisfaction: LFGB certification certifies that the manufacturer is producing high-quality products and services. Though this is also a continual process wherein improvement has to be made to achieve total customer satisfaction and continued to upload the achieved customer satisfaction.
(b) Increased marketability: Getting LFGB certified means the organization is firmly committed to excellence which results in not only customer acquisition but also customer retention.
(c) Customer’s Trust: Customers are usually found less skeptical about buying anything that is certified by any renowned body. Containing a logo of LFGB certification indicates that the product does not have any toxic substances which are harmful to the human body. Moreover, products having certification from LFGB can easily earn customer trust while entering a new market.
- The certification process is initiated by sending samples along with product information by the applicant to the authority.
- Authorities assess the samples and prepare a quotation according to the type of tested material.
- Applicants must accept the quotation.
- A contract has been established by the two parties.
- Tests will be conducted on the samples in accordance with the applicable standards (LFGB 30&31 etc.,)
- The Authorities issue a test report.
- For acceptable result, the authority issue a certificate of LFGB compliance
LFGB Test Process
1. Advisory — Sample and product information provided by the applicant, the information includes
- Sample description
- Sample material:
- Use condition
- Product photos, sizes, weight (option)
2. Quotation — According to samples provided by the applicant, product engineers to assess, identify test items, and apply for the quotation
3. Applicant to accept the quotation
4. Contract signed
5. Sample tests – tests will be conducted in accordance with the applicable standards
6. Issue LFGB test report
Common Materials for LFGB Test
Electric products that are in contact with food, such as pressure cookers, electric stoves, electric kettles, egg boilers, toaster ovens, sandwich ovens, rice cookers, etc. Food storage supplies such as stainless steel pots, Strengthen glass boards, baking paper, and other kitchen utensils like plates, spoons, cups, bowls, knives, scissors, dishes, lunch boxes, water dispensers, etc.
LFGB certification is also required for clothing, towels, bedding, wig, false eyelashes, sleeping bags, hats, diapers and other health supplies, gloves, shoes, straps, purse, handbag, briefcase, chair cladding materials; textile materials such as yarn, fabric used directly, and even cosmetics and tobacco products, etc.
LFGB Test Requirements For Common Materials:
The type of tests to be conducted on a product before giving LFGB certification vary with the nature of the product. What type of tests are required for which products are explained below –
- General plastic products: Generally, it requires full migration and sensory testing.
- PVC plastic products: It requires a comprehensive migration test, sensory test, vinyl chloride monomer test, and peroxide value test.
- PE plastic products: It also requires sensory tests, comprehensive migration tests, and peroxide value tests. Apart from these, chromium content test, zirconium content test, and vanadium content test.
- PP plastic products: Comprehensive migration test, zirconium content test, chromium content test, vanadium content test, and sensory test are required for PP plastic products.
- PS, ABS, SAN, and Acrylic plastic products: Apart from the sensory test, total migration test, and organic volatile total, these products require a peroxide value test, (VOM).
- PA, PU plastic products: Comprehensive migration test, sensory test, and peroxide value test are common. Additionally, the aromatic amine migration test is conducted.
- PET plastic products: Comprehensive migration test, peroxide value test, zinc content test, and lead content test are usually conducted on pet plastic products.
- Silicone rubber products: Comprehensive migration test, organic volatile content, sensory test, peroxide value test, and an organic tin compound test are required to attest LFGB certification on products of silicone rubber.
- Paper products: Five chlorine phenol tests, hg of heavy metals (such as lead, chromium, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent) release quantity, formaldehyde content test, antibacterial composition migration test are required for the paper product. Besides, the azo dye test is performed on colored paper products.
- Non-stick coating products: Sensory testing, comprehensive migration test, and different types of dissolubility test such as phenol test, formaldehyde test, aromatic amine test, hexavalent chromium (Vl) test.
- Metal, alloy, and electroplating products: Heavy metal dissolution [like lead, nickel, cadmium, chromium ] test along with the sensory test.
- Baking paper products: Appearance, antibacterial composition migration test, thermal stability, sensory test, polychlorinated biphenyl test, and formaldehyde dissolution test are required for baking paper products.
- Wood products: Wood products require a pentachlorophenol test and sensory test.
- Ceramics, glass, and enamel products: The content of lead cadmium dissolution was usually tested in contact with food.
To conclude, once any product achieves the LFGB certification, it is obvious that the product has passed German and European standards. As a result, the product earns acceptability in global markets including American markets. Therefore, getting the LFGB certification doubles the revenue as well as strengthens the position in the market in contrast to its competitor. It is advised to get in touch with a trustworthy agency to get prestigious LFGB certification for selling or exporting products in German and European markets. AQI Service has equipped to analyze a range of materials based on the LFGB standards.
BTW, when you have questions on LFGB vs FDA, please contact us anytime.
Author: AQI Service as a professional quality control service company in China specialized in providing a complete range of quality inspection and testing certification services in China & Asia for global importers, buyers, retailers, and sellers.
There are strict guidelines that must be met if you want to import toys from suppliers in China or any other Asian country. The CPSIA regulates these strict guidelines. 仍would like to share what both US and foreign importers must know to ensure CPSIA compliance when importing children’s toys from China and other countries inFebruary 23, 2021
Not all toys are safe! Play is an essential part of a child’s early development. It helps their brain to develop and for their language and communication skills to mature. Therefore, simple games like shaking a rattle or introducing age-appropriate toys from an early age are vital. Toys are an excellent way for your childFebruary 15, 2021
Physical and mechanical testing determine the physical, mechanical, and metallographic properties of materials, especially metals and alloys. By testing the materials, one can distinguish the material from other materials. Mechanical testing is an inevitable part of the design and manufacturing process. Because it unveils the mechanical properties of any item which helps the designer toDecember 14, 2020