- September 10, 2020
- Posted by: AQI Service
- Categories: Product Testing, Quality Control
What is Salt Spray Test
A salt spray test is a testing method that measures the corrosion resistance of products using a high-saline environment. It is invented at the inception of the 20th century. The test procedure is quick, relatively inexpensive, well standardized, and reasonably repeatable.
The current ASTM version for the salt spray test is ASTM B117-19: Standard Practice for Operating Salt Spray (Fog) Apparatus.
The test is also known as Salt Fog Test. Salt spray test results are used to identify the suitability of a material system for a specific application. It is therefore a standardized and popular method for corrosion of metallic products.
1.1 Application Salt Spray Test
Due to being quick, inexpensive, well standardized, and repeatable, this test method has become the most popular and wide-spread corrosion test method.
In the first step of corrosion testing, the materials to be examined are placed in a salt spray testing chamber. Then the solution of saltwater is sprayed on the specimen. To perform this testing process, the temperature should be upheld at around 35 °C. pH ranges from 6.5 to 7.2. The salt solution should contain 5 % sodium chloride with 95 % ASTM D1193 Type IV water. How long a corrosion test should be performed depends on two factors such as-
- The congenital properties of examined materials such as mechanical, chemical, physical properties
- The coating of the metal
If the accelerated corrosion test lasts longer, the process will remain out of control accordingly.
1.2 Testing equipment
The principal equipment for the Salt Spray Test is a testing cabinet or chamber. Chambers are of various sizes like 9.3 cu ft (260 L), 2058 cubic feet (58,300 L). Though the most common machines are sized by 15 to 160 cubic feet (420–4,500 L). The chamber is heated by electric heaters which are located under a diffuser plate and the exposure zone.
The test is performed with spreading salted solution (mainly, a solution of 5% NaCl + 95% water) on sample material through a nozzle.
1.3 Advantages and Disadvantages of Salt Spray Test:
Firstly, this test is suitable for multi-material. Whether it is bare material or painted one or sacrifice coating, it is possible to perform the test regardless of the type of material.
Secondly, the result can be found much quicker than the natural environment.
Thirdly, this test is relatively inexpensive and does not require a high amount of investment.
Fourthly, there is no complexity in any step of this test. Rather, everything is straightforward and the result is easy to apprehend as well.
Fifthly, this test applies to both the shaped parts or equipped items.
Nevertheless, it has a few drawbacks. This test does not give you 100% accurate results. Because of being a destructive test and scattered test, it is not correlated with actual performance for stainless steel.
Product Performance Test
Performance is a type of testing that determines a product’s performance, such as stability, durability, scalability, etc. This report of this test certifies whether the product is functioning well as desired or not, whether the product is fit for the market or not. As a result, it is certainly one of the best ways to give the product a competitive edge.
Product Performance Test usually includes the following tests-
- Durability tests
- Function tests
- Safety tests
- Handling tests
- Performance tests for softness
- Customer-specific tests
- Instruction manual verification
2.1 Importance of Product Performance Test:
By conducting a Product Performance Test, you can-
- Identify performance related problem
- Avoid unnecessary production costs
- Eliminate the performance bottleneck throughout the process
- Earn customer satisfaction and maximize the demand for the product.
2.2 Types of Performance Testing
- Load testing – checks the product’s ability to perform under different conditions. The primary objective is to determine performance bottlenecks before the product goes live.
- Stress testing – check the product under extreme workloads to see how it responses. The ultimate objective is to find out the breaking point of a product.
- Endurance testing – aims to find the behavior of the product under the anticipated workload for a certain period.
- Spike testing – tests the response of products against the extreme increment or decrement in the workload.
- Scalability testing -this testing is performed to determine the product’s effectiveness.
2.3 Steps of Product Performance Test:
- Identify your testing environment: Determining the propitious environment where the test to be conducted is the first step. Also, you have to fix the tools and techniques to be applied for testing the performance of a certain product.
- Set the performance acceptance criteria: Unless you define the criteria as to what to accept or reject, you can’t come up with a solution at the end of the test.
- Plan & design performance tests: According to the first two steps, you have to plan and design the process flow chart about how the test is to be conducted.
- Ensure the environment: After completion of all predefined steps, you have to go for execution by ensuring the required environment.
- Implementation of Plan: Conduct Tests according to your plan.
- Monitoring and Analyzing the Behavior: While running the test, you have to observe the behavior and reaction of the product under different criteria and document them as well. Finally, effective analysis of these documented data will lead to concluding with remarks.
3. Reliability Test:
In general terms, reliability means how long a product can serve it’s intended purpose. In terms of statistical sense, reliability is referring to the degree to which an assessment tool produces results at a different point in time. There are numerous ways to evaluate the reliability of a product.
3.1. Type of Reliability:
There are four types of reliability test such as-
- Test-retest reliability: The same test is conducted twice over a period of time to measure the reliability pattern of a product over time.
- Inter-rater reliability: A way of measuring reliability considering the response of different judges or raters. As human judgment differs from person to person. Additionally, the same person may rate differently on the same product at different circumstances.
- Parallel form reliability: In this type of reliability, consideration of a group of individuals on different versions but the same products are assessed to measure the reliability of a product.
- Internal consistency reliability: The reliability is measured by evaluating the score of all critical internal different parts of a single product.
Laboratory testing plays a vital role in supplier selection, research, and development, manufacturing, and operations. Therefore, it is better to contact an agency AQI service that provides a range of services for testing.
Author: AQI Service as a professional quality control service company in China specialized in providing a complete range of quality inspection and testing certification services in China & Asia for global importers, buyers, retailers, and sellers.
If you make a living by selling products on Amazon, you know how important it is for your products to have a good rating. Poor ratings can result in persons overlooking your product and going for another option. Persons tend to give low ratings because the quality of the product was poor or because theNovember 22, 2020
What is Amazon FBA Prep Service? FBA prep is a process of getting the inventory prepared to send to Amazon fulfilment centres. As Amazon has some special requirements for packaging and labelling to create a better customer experience. Therefore, you must go through this process for doing business through this largest online shopping platform. Basically,November 13, 2020
September 14, 2020
August 27, 2020