- July 26, 2020
- Posted by: AQI Service
- Category: Product Testing
The raw material is a primary material usually used to produce goods or finished products. It is considered as the backbone of finished products. You cannot earn customer satisfaction by providing poor quality products that are made of low-quality raw material.
Raw materials are classified based on the type of industry they are being used. Different types of chemical materials such as alcohols, epoxides, and acids are being imported in the pharmaceutical industry for producing medicine. Food ingredients and food flavors are being processed in the food industry for manufacturing food products. and PP, PVC, ABS, etc. are raw materials of the plastic industry. Regardless of the use, every manufacturer opts to buy the best quality raw materials from its vendors at affordable prices. To ensure the quality of raw material, buyers must test the sample materials before any commercial order.
Let’s discuss what you should check and how to check the basic characteristics of raw materials.
Basic Properties of Raw Materials:
All raw materials should be tested for identity, purity, composition, potency, freshness, value, and quality. Depending on the category of product, the extent of raw material testing varies. Nevertheless, the following tests can be done to know the basic details of raw materials.
- Identity: Identity test is to verify whether the correct raw materials with proper specifications have been received or not. It ranges from organoleptic tests to specific tests such as HPLC (known as High-Performance Liquid Chromatography) or even IR Spectroscopy.
- Purity: The purity test confirms whether the material is ready for consumption or not. It indicates all kind of contaminants whether it is excess heavy metals or microbial contamination
- Potency: It is essential to ensure that the material contains the proper amount of components. Materials that have a daily value require a potency test.
- Composition: Without knowing chemical composition, neither the purchasing team can negotiate with the supplier, nor the Research & Development team can establish a new product.
- Shelf Life: Identifying shelf life of raw material is a must for inventory planning as well as order quantity fixing. A buyer can seize the opportunity of buying raw materials that have a long shelf-life at a minimum price or discounted price. Though your supplier will declare shelf-life of raw materials, it will be wise to check it in your laboratory for at least once
Check more about the Characteristics of the basic properties of raw materials, materials, and products
Physicochemical Test is a characterization of the physicochemical properties of raw materials and thus it is integral to the verification of raw materials.
- Appearance: all products must be visually inspected. If you can see the presence of these extraneous undissolved particles with your naked eye, you can easily reject the lot or sample without investing time and money.
- PH: It will help you to identify whether raw material has acidity or alkalinity.
- Viscosity: It is another major property which is the resistance of the fluid to flow,
- Osmolality: It generally defines how many solute particles are present in per kilogram of solvent.
- Moisture Content: A large number of raw materials especially pharmaceutical and biologic products contain water as either in hydrates (water of crystallization) or in adsorbed form. The extent of water existed in raw materials largely influences its other characteristics.
- Optical Activity: Optical activity is one of the basic properties of chiral substances.
- Spectral Analysis: It is a technique for checking materials at various stages of the manufacturing process. Apart from compound identification and concentration measurement, spectral analysis is also used to reveal impurities in the yield product.
Importance of Raw Material Testing:
Raw material testing is mandatory if you want to manufacture good quality products. Because the properties of a final product largely depend on the quality of raw materials. Raw materials of superior quality certainly yield top quality products unless there are any anomalies in the production or packing process. However, some crucial reasons for raw material testing are going to be illustrated below
- Survival of company: You must catch new customers or retain existing customers to exist in the market. Different companies adopt versatile approaches according to their strategies to strengthen their position in the market. Some companies opt to manufacture quality products and deliver quality to their customers in exchange for money. To produce qualitative products, you must buy qualitative raw materials and ensure the specification of raw materials frequently.
- Negotiation: The price of anything usually depends on what exists in it. Simultaneously, the ingredients of raw materials determine its price. Unless you have proper knowledge of material composition as well as the price of ingredients, you can’t negotiate with your supplier effectively while purchasing a lot.
- Proper Storage: You might have to import raw materials from another continent. As a result, you have to maintain a stockpile of goods for excess demand or variable lead time. In this case, you must consider shelf-life raw materials along with other properties to fix the quantity as well as maintain an ambient condition.
- Ensuring Consistent Quality: Your supplier might send a sample or first few lots of excellent quality to build trust. Quality of products may decline in the middle or even your supplier may hide something that should be unveiled to you. To be ensured whether your supplier is sending raw material with upholding the initial quality or not, you should perform random tests frequently.
Therefore, companies that do not have in-house laboratories with adequate facilities should send the samples to a third-party laboratory for testing. Specifying and qualifying raw materials regularly is the best approach for checking the consistency of quality of delivered products.
Raw materials testing ensures that raw materials used in final products are suitable for their intended use. But, it often requires a versatile and expensive instrument with convenient, interchangeable sampling modules as well as analysts with technical knowhow to cater to the entire range of raw materials encountered. You can hire a third party agency like AQI Service who has a wide range of chemistry expertise as well as the latest instruments required to perform, probably, all types of raw materials testing.
Author: AQI Service as a professional quality control service company in China specialized in providing a complete range of quality inspection and testing certification services in China & Asia for global importers, buyers, retailers, and sellers.
There are strict guidelines that must be met if you want to import toys from suppliers in China or any other Asian country. The CPSIA regulates these strict guidelines. 仍would like to share what both US and foreign importers must know to ensure CPSIA compliance when importing children’s toys from China and other countries inFebruary 23, 2021
Not all toys are safe! Play is an essential part of a child’s early development. It helps their brain to develop and for their language and communication skills to mature. Therefore, simple games like shaking a rattle or introducing age-appropriate toys from an early age are vital. Toys are an excellent way for your childFebruary 15, 2021
Physical and mechanical testing determine the physical, mechanical, and metallographic properties of materials, especially metals and alloys. By testing the materials, one can distinguish the material from other materials. Mechanical testing is an inevitable part of the design and manufacturing process. Because it unveils the mechanical properties of any item which helps the designer toDecember 14, 2020